This is so easy I wouldn’t even call it a recipe. Remember the Easy mediterranean pasta salad I once made? If carb salads are a family, than these would be distant cousins. Okay, it’s not mediterranean but more triple red-orange (cousins, remember) and it’s the perfect way to use up that leftover rice in your fridge for a quick and light university lunch. Light enough to not consume too much energy for digestion but still filling and satisfying, what more can you want? To be honest, it’s really not special, but sometimes beauty just lies in the simple (and fast but not fast-foody) things.
Simply mix the rice with the vinaigrette (preferably over night but if you know that you’ll have a few hours until lunch that will do enough to get it infused with the flavor) and layer the veggies on top (that will prevent them from getting soggy). If using mushrooms, frying them in a little butter until just soft adds a little 5-min. gourmet touch to your dish (and makes lunch something to look out for). Alrighty, gotta go back to studying, that’s why this post is short!
What is your favorite carb salad cousin?
With love from the student kitchen
Leftover Rice Salad
This is what you need
1.5 cups rice, already cooked
2 tablespoons vinaigrette
5 cherry tomatoes
1/2 red bell pepper
A little butter
And this is how we do it
1. The night before /in the morning mix the rice with the vinaigrette
2. Quarter the tomatoes and dice the bell pepper, layer on top of the rice
3. Cut the mushrooms into thin slices. Melt butter in a pan and fry the mushrooms until golden brown and tender. Season with salt
4. Let cool down and add to the other veggies
5. Wait for a few hours in order for the rice to infuse and enjoy as a light but flavorful uni lunch
This is my own recipe. Please do not use it commercially without my permission. When using it on your blog, please re-write it in your own words and link it to the source to give proper credit. Thanks!