I have this one flatmate and he loves Nutella. Well, actually I love nutella too (because who doesn’t). It’s just super tasty, not expensive comfort food and I could eat it right out of the glass with a spoon (ssssh) which is exactly why I never buy it. See, once I have something in the house I eat it, but if I don’t have it, I am too lazy to go out and get it in those moments of craving (crazy logic but it works).
So, anyways, this roommate had his birthday on friday and I wanted to make him something special (side note: I usually make food for my friends for their birthdays because who doesn’t love food? Oh and because they won’t have another thing clutting their room after their birthday). Anyways, I figured I might just make some nutella brownies (and this is being a nice roommate, because for him I brought NUTELLA INTO THE HOUSE) but we don’t have a brownie pan, so tadaa, muffins. Cute little super fast muffins mixed up at 7 AM without a mixer (and I promise, your roommates will even love you more for this). They’re soft, chocolatey with a tiny hint of coffee and sea salt for that extra sophistication. I don’t even mind that they cracked on the tops. And my roommate didn’t either.
And this is what you could call instant gratitude 🙂
Simply mix eggs and Nutella in a bowl with a fork, add sugar , the ground coffee and in the end the flour-baking powder mixture. Spoon it into prepared muffin tins and sprinkle with some coarse sea salt (but only a tiny little bit, which, in this case, I stole from the birthday boy). And then watch them turn from pure dough to deliciooouuuuus muffins/brownies.
No-mixer nutella brownie/muffins
This is what you need:
300 g Nutella
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground coffee (instant coffee powder for emergencies only!!)
80 g flour
2 ts baking powder
And this is how we do it:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line 12 muffin tins with paper moulds
2. In a bowl, mix eggs and sugar with a fork until well combined.
3. Mix in the Nutella
4. In a second bowl, mix flour, coffee and baking powder
5. Add to the Nutella mixture
6. Pour into prepared muffin tins and sprinkle with some (!) coarse sea salt (optional)
7. Bake for ca. 12 minutes, then check your muffins. They should be baked outside but still a little soft in the center. I did the toothpick test and took them out when the toothpick came out clean (after ca. 3 more minutes). Be careful not to overbake (we’re aiming for a soft, brownie-like interior here)
8. Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack (if you have one) to cool down.
9. Share them with your roommates (or eat them aaaall by yourself)
This is my own recipe. Please do not use it commercially without my permission. When using it on your blog, please re-write it in your own words and link it to the source to give proper credit 🙂 Thanks!